I would bring:
- More work clothes. I didn’t realise how smart “smart-casual” really was, so I’ve spent a fortune on buying new clothes, which are actually really expensive in Mexico. I miss Primark!
- More tea. I brought 40 teabags with me (limited space), but my God do I need more. Yeah, you can buy it here but it’s just not the same. And super expensive.
- More immodium. I’ll let you work that one out. #ThanksMexico
- Chocolate. Mexico, the land of chocolate is actually really shit at chocolate. It all tastes like chocolate you’d find in a 99p shop advent calendar. Gross. Please someone send me some Cadburys! (although it’ll take 5 months to get here, for real my xmas cards just arrived).
- More bikinis. I’ve been swimming a lot more than ever in my life, too much travelling I guess! But yeah, clothes are expensive, and handing over $500 is so much harder when you know you’ve got the same thing at home.
- More travel adaptors. I brought one. LOL big mistake there Kristin. Luckily my host fam lent me another, although both broke last month. So luckily Mum gave me 2 more when she visited.
- Blue tack. I just can’t find any here.
- Batteries. You never know when you’ll need them, and oh my God are they expensive here.
I wouldn’t bring:
- So many jumpers. Mexico is warrrmmmm man.
- So many books. You can get cheap second hand ones here.
- An umbrella. “Whhaaaaaatt???” I hear the Brits cry, but it is true, it doesn’t rain here. When I got here I carried my brolly everywhere, as you do, but literally since being here it’s rained 5 days maybe? I haven’t felt rain since before Christmas. How weird is that? Although when it does rain, it’s fucking tropical.
I’m glad I packed:
- My extension lead. Plug socket underneath my bunk bed? No problem. Also so many more sockets.
- My portable charger. So handy when travelling!
- A padlock. Also very useful for the gym and when travelling! (Hostels often provide lockers but no locks).
- Toiletries and makeup. Suuuuperrrr pricey here.
- Slippers. It’s nice to have some home comforts, also no one has carpets here.
- My large backpack. A saviour when travelling and for weekends away.
I’m sure I’ll think of more things and I’ll add them as they come along! Hope this is helpful!